Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Horoscope Hilarity

On campus there are a few newspapers offered for free. Each morning a stack of The Record is dropped off. The school’s newspaper, Spoke, is kept around the school all week. After I read through the headlines and any of the articles that catch my attention, I head to the entertainment section. While horoscopes can be cheesy at best, Spoke takes it to the next level. They offer the most outrageous horoscopes I have ever seen. This past week I was warned that I would get in an argument with an eight-year-old on the subject of Transformers. Entirely likely! After being encouraged to stay calm if such an incident occurs, I moved on to read the other comical predictions.

I love that instead of trying to create realistic horoscopes, the author accepted their lack of knowledge in the field of astrology. This acceptance allowed them to amuse readers, and in a way, poke fun at the inaccuracy and vagueness of traditional horoscopes. Accepting a lack of knowledge in certain situations can allow for creativity to blossom and for many things to be learned. Being open to learning and trying new things can have surprising results.

No comments:

Post a Comment