Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Program Popularity

Each time I tell somewhat what program I am in at Conestoga, they want to know what I will do in the future. I struggle to give a description that encompasses all of the possibilities, I could work for a magazine, or design packaging, or direct mail, there are so many different avenues I could go into. Each time I leave feeling like I didn’t do my program justice, that I didn’t accurately describe what I will likely be doing.

After being a speaker at a student leadership event, I realized the reason people want to know what I will be doing is because they are fascinated by design. Good design sells, and they are the ones buying it. The other reason people are interested is that everyone wants to or knows someone who wants to become a designer. At Conestoga it can be a nerve wracking experience, first you apply to Conestoga and if you have high enough grades get a letter sent to you with three date options for your interview. After preparing a portfolio, you head to Conestoga dressed in your Sunday best. Current students introduce you to the program, then send you in for an interview with the Professors.

This process may seem time consuming, and it is, but it helps prepare you for what is to come. Becoming a designer is more than a job. It eats up so much of your time and changes your perspective on so many things. Finding a balance between school and life can be difficult, projects pile up and it seems like it is never ending. However, when people show an interest in what I am doing, and what the future could hold, it makes it seem worthwhile. The interest people have shown in what I do has inspired me to continue trying my best, and working towards becoming the best designer I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment