Thursday, February 25, 2010

Surprising Situation

This past Tuesday while I was at work at the Info Desk, I overheard an argument between two strangers. The male was extremely rude, sexist and demeaning towards the woman; I found out afterwards that it was all because of her clothing.

I didn’t know what to do in this situation; I had never encountered anything close to this before and found it unfathomable. To me it didn’t seem real; I couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that this male thought so little of women and truly believed we were lesser beings.

I was relieved when the confrontation ended and even more relieved when I heard from a member of the board of directors that the male would face being kicked out of school for harassment. The Respect campaign adheres to Conestoga’s student code of conduct, many actions are deemed as prohibited conduct, this includes verbal abuse and harassment.

While I am unsure if being kicked out of Conestoga is too steep of a punishment, I hope that the male is punished severely enough that he changes his ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment