Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Plants on the Roof?

Woodstock, my hometown, has an abundance of green space, I love having three parks in walking distance. While I was home I went on a walk with my parents and passed a house with a green roof. I realized that plants can be used in so many different ways to benefit the environment.

According to studies in the USA green roofs can effectively sequester carbon from the atmosphere. If a city the size of Detroit had green roofs, 55,000 tonnes of carbon could be captured; this is the equivalent of taking 10,000 mid-sized SUVS off the road. Green roofs also help to reduce energy consumption, it has been found that die heat flow is reduced 70-90% in the summer and 10-30% in the winter. Another advantage of green roofs is the reduction of storm water runoff, this helps to cut down the load on city sewers.

Overall, once the initial cost of the roof is paid for, the benefits are huge. Not only does the homeowner save on heating bills, the atmosphere is improved. The air is cleaner for you and your entire community.

No comments:

Post a Comment