Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Surprise!

One of the most open ended projects I've done to date is the Chicken Project. I remember with terror the day my prof passed out he asssignment, I was used to an 8.5 by 11 sheet filled with instructions, restrictions and deadlines but this piece only had a couple of sentences and a due date. I say terror because I find restrictions comforting, they give me parameters to work within and help me to find a starting place. All the brief said was; Get the chicken across the road. Creatively.

I started this project with a notebook beside my bed, on my desk or wherever I happened to be. I came up with a number of different concepts, and went through rough phases with a couple before I got serious about this concept. As you can see in the photos below the project is a parody of the iconic KFC packaging. I searched on the internet for resources but was disatisfied with my research until I had the real thing, a nice bag of sides and a big 'ol bucket of KFC. The illustration worked nicely on the package and when I cut the idea of making a promo poster, I decided to expand on the illustration and create a booklet that taught chickens how to escape in either the bucket or the bag.

I entered the project in the first Design Edge award competition and was thrilled when I won. I could hardly believe that a project that at first seemed so daunting had turned out so well. I hope you agree!










No comments:

Post a Comment